Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up in a casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.
--C.S. Lewis

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Safety in Peru

Ever since arriving here in Peru, I have never had a problem with thieves nor have any of the other  volunteers since I have been here. But over the past four weeks there have been 3 incidents (2 with me!).

First of all, Nestor gave me a new phone. It's called RPM, and it was nicer and cheaper than my other phone, since I could virtually call him for free and send free texts to anyone. So I loved the phone. I was going to use my personal phone that I had bought for work, and the RPM phone for personal use. But I only had the RPM phone two weeks before I lost it. I don't know whether it was from pickpocketing or my phone just fell out of my pocket. But I was leaving an area of Trujillo called Laredo to head back to La Esperanza, and I had to take multiple modes of transportation since I wanted to be cheap and only pay 2 soles home versus 15 soles. I rode one combi (which is like a van), and I'm pretty sure I still had my phone after that. I had to get off that combi at some point, so I got off and got on the micro (bus) to get home. After I got off at my house, Nestor had told me to text him to let him know I got home safely. So I searched for my phone and couldn't find it. I immediately called my phone hoping it would pop up somewhere. Nothing. Then whoever had my phone kept ending my phone call. I called continuously and finally they turned off my phone. So I called Nestor, told him what happened, and apologized profusely. I felt horrible. I was so angry with myself for losing the phone so easily. He suspended the number quickly so the thief couldn't use the phone. I have never lost a phone like that in my life. But I guess there's a first for everything.

And surprise, surprise, I was actually starting to like Sudoku! I hated that game in high school and all throughout college, but I don't know what changed, but I was liking it more. I was actually sad that I wouldn't get to play it anymore.

The second incident with me came just two weeks later. I went to one of my favorite sandwich shops in downtown Trujillo for dinner (it was only 6:30 pm!) with Nestor. The restaurant was called San Augustin Jugueria. It's a small shop and it was crowded. So people are standing close. I had my money in one pocket, and my personal phone in my other pocket. There were two short women who cut in line in front of me, and that annoyed me to begin with. They wouldn't move to let me pass, and I couldn't understand what they were doing. They weren't ordering food, just looking around. I thought maybe they were trying to decide if they wanted to eat there, and then they just up and left. I was happy at first. Once I got closer to the register, I noticed that my pocket felt empty. So I put my hand in my pocket and guess what? They had pick-pocketed me! They took my vera bradley pouch and 200 soles ($70 worth). I was more mad about the pouch because I really liked it. And I was mad that I couldn't even feel it! I couldn't believe it.

The third incident happened a bit closer to home with another one of our volunteers. She was walking to the colegio with two other volunteers in the bright daylight (10:30 AM), and she was putting her camera away. She had been taking pictures along the way because it was her last week here in Horizon. Someone ran right up to her and ripped her camera off her wrist band and ran. She tried running with another volunteer after him, but the other volunteer told them to stop in case he had a gun. Of course she was very upset after this. I would be too! Both of mine were not as dramatic thankfully.

I was just surprised this last incident happened so close to Horizon and in the daylight. I am trying to be more careful with my things now. I thought I was before, but I'm going to be extra careful. I'm just thankful nothing worse has happened to anyone here. I don't feel unsafe, but I just feel the need to be a little more aware of my surroundings.

This is a picture of the street that we walk down to get to the colegio:

No comments:

Post a Comment